Saturday, April 29, 2017

Bray shall not host


Born amidst the strife of the Goblin Blood, I was sold
to a wizard as an infant. The wizard worshipped a devil
and purchased me in order to use me as a vessel for
summoning a demon. She called me Host when she
called me anything, and used me as one might use an
apprentice until I hit puberty.
On the night I was to be sacrificed, I recognized which
component was missing as she prepared the ritual. I
made a few leaps of logic, and escaped shortly before
she began.
Destitute and ill-equipped for street life, I bounced
from begging to stealing to menial labor. I was never
very good at any of it. Early on in my career as a
beggar, starving and cold, a noble promised he'd give
me a whole gold piece if I could bray like a donkey.
I brayed. He laughed and told me I wasn't good enough,
and that he's have his men kick me if I couldn't bray.
I brayed and brayed until they finally lost interest. Then
I lay in the street braying. The other street kids called
me Bray from that moment on. It was better than Host.
After 4 years on the streets, I finally figured out a
system whereby I could get showers and make myself
somewhat presentable. I got work with a caravan
in charge of the donkey's they used to pull the wagons.
Naturally, we were attacked by bandits. I was the only
one who survived. I wandered into the woods. A terrible
idea, but luckily I happened upon a kindly druid.
She gave me a home and help me understand how to
use what I had learned as a child. She provided me
with the means of crafting my first spellbook, and
though I took the mantle of Wizard instead of Druid,
because of her influence, I chose the elemental school
of Wood to focus on.

No comments:

Post a Comment